Monday, June 24, 2013

2012/13 Year End Summary

Oh this poor neglected old blog.  I didn't even do a year end summary last year!

Well, we are still home schooling. Still eclectic. Still relaxed.

This year got off to a very rough start as I had surgery and then was ill with a respiratory infection from the surgery and being laid up. There was even a point in September where I pretty much felt I was losing my mind and started checking around to local schools so I could enroll the kids. I didn't want to really, but I felt like I might have to because I didn't think my mental status was doing any of us any favors. Luckily I pulled out of the illness and recovered from surgery and we completed our school year last Friday. We took a lot less breaks this year than we have in previous years because we didn't really get started until somewhere in the middle of October. The flexibility of homeschooling wins again!

So, the nitty gritty. Gracie completed 3rd grade with very little struggle.  She's an incredible reader who devours books and although she doesn't always enjoy writing she's quite good at it. She's right on target with math although I feel that the book we used this year wasn't quite challenging enough so I am planning to change that for 4th grade to make sure she is getting the foundation she needs. She's bright and curious and knows more than I do about a lot of things. The Titanic for example. Just ask her about it. She'll freak you out with her knowledge of dates and times and passenger statistics.

Ian completed 1st grade with a  little less gusto than I would have liked but I've known since he was a tiny toddler that pushing him at anything only makes it a million times more difficult.  It's a challenge to me because 1- I can be fairly type A when it comes to getting work accomplished and 2- He's crazy smart but he is a perfectionist who constantly belittles and double thinks himself. The motto "Just do it" does not speak to my son, lol. He likes to do things slowly and methodically with lots of hands on and distractions. He's a math whiz and manipulatives are necessary for his learning style. He actually finished 2 different first grade  math curriculums this year.  A lack of manipulatives for language arts made a lot of writing difficult for him this year so we will be focusing more on that next year as he matures.  He has mastered basic reading through the Bob books and is doing more and more of that every day.

All in all this was a good year. I didn't go overboard on buying stuff at all. We used a lot of what we had on hand and a couple full curriculum workbooks I got on clearance at Barnes and Noble.  We've begun studying American History with a trip to DC planned for next year. Science remains what it always has been, very unschooly with nature studies as the kids are interested. We also make very good use of Netflix and Amazon Prime for documentaries which generally pertain to either history or science.

So that's it, the 2012/2013 year in a nut shell.


1 comment:

  1. Great summary! Your kids are awesome and so are you! So glad it was a good end of year! Enjoy your summer trip!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete